If you are into your adventure sports you will have for sure heard of the GoPro HD cameras. They're used everywhere and really have become a label associated with extreme sports the same as Red Bull have. These things are fantastic, convenient and so many mounts and accessories are available. Wether you go the down the official GoPro route or third party companies offering accessories.
INSIDE THE BOX: Inside the box is everything you need minus the Micro SD card. The camera is already pre charged and just requires a suitable Micro SD card inserted and away you go. A couple of basic sticky mounts are provided which are brilliant for mounting on to your helmets, motorcycle, snowboard, whatever takes your fancy.
THE CAMERA: This particular model is a lot smaller and lighter than some of the previous models. I've upgraded from the Hero 1 and it's a big difference. A third smaller I believe it is. On the front is a small screen. This is not for viewing, that is available as an optional extra. What this screen displays is all the information you need to know. Wether that's filming, taking pictures, time lapse or even a combination. It also provides information on how many mega pixels you are capturing images at and what setting your footage and frame rate is on. Now, if like me you didn't really understand all this at first you're not going to get it looking at the screen. Read the manual, it explains everything. Also, YouTube will become your friend. The wealth of information on there about this camera is unreal.
MOUNTS AND ACCESSORIES: If you were to search for mounts and accessories on eBay or Amazon you will have a huge amount to choose from. There is everything available for almost every need. My man drawer is full of sticky pads, mounts, attachments, selfie sticks and harnesses. I've got them on my Kayak, Snowboard, Climbing gear, Motorcycles, they're everywhere. And they stay there, very discreet and almost have now become a symbol in itself that you like to do extreme stuff. So much to choose from which makes this camera very versatile.
THE TECHNICAL STUFF: Below is a list of some of the settings and features. There is a lot. If you want a more in-depth look at this then click here direct to the website.
- Up to 4k video at 30 frames per second, you can also shoot at 1080p at 120 frames per second which is really cool for quality slow motion filming.
- Time lapse video at 0.5, 1, 2, 5, 10, 30, 60 second intervals.
- Record HD footage and time lapse at the same time. Check the link for details on this.
- SuperView video mode. Apparently the worlds most immersive wide angle perspective.
- Up to 12MP photos.
- Continuos photo up to 30 seconds.
- Night photo up to a 30 second exposure.
- Comes with Protune which means you can customise the camera settings professionally. Once you know what your doing.
- Has Wifi to sync to your smart phone with help of the App to control settings and use the camera remotely. This really cool, but does use the battery a lot more. You have been warned.
- Will take up to a 64GB MicroSD memory card.
- Waterproof to 60m with the supplied casing.
OVERALL: This is a fantastic camera and really does do a lot. Personally I don't think I will be able to use it to its full potential. I use the camera a lot to take pictures when I'm out doing my thing. Most of the pictures used in my blogs are captured with this. The time lapse is a great feature which I use all the time. 4k is great but if you just want to post onto Facebook or Instagram then it's really not needed. The file size is huge! It's rugged and the amount of accessories on the market is brilliant. There is now a mount for putting on your dog or cat so you can see what they get up to. The price however is not cheap. On the GoPro website it's selling for £409.99. Thats a huge amount of money to spend. So make sure you will use it and you don't just want it as a fashion accessory. The tech that has gone into this is unbelievable. It's used a lot now in movies. Check out the video below of it being used in the latest Fast and Furious movie.